Friday, January 23, 2009

Spay Day Photo Contest


The Humane Society of the United States is holding a pet photo contest to promote their fifteenth annual Spay Day, February 24, 2009.

I entered the photo above. I wanted to enter one that was a little different. He's purring on my feet at the moment. Maybe he's hoping to help me not eat Ben&Jerrys tonight by being extra affectionate. He's at least succeeding by making me not want to move and disturb him. If he keeps up this level of affection, I may succeed in getting down to my summer weight before May!

More seriously, please enter a photo of your pet and/or donate and vote for Toby. With each dollar you donate, you get one vote to use on whatever pet photo you find to be cute. Every owner has decided between three charitable options for where they want the money to go. I chose a 50/50 distribution between HSUS and local spay/neuter organizations for any money raised via Toby's undeniable adorableness.

Spaying and neutering helps control the homeless animal population and cut down on the rate of growth. If you can't donate now, please tell your friends to fix their pets and be sure to fix your own. It's a basic tenet of animal welfare but it bears repeating. Fixing is good. In addition to helping control the population fixing a pet will often make it easier to train a pet and decrease aggression and marking behaviors. It's safe, effective, and the best way to control pet homelessness.

Support Spay Day '09. Donate if you can, spread the word if you can't :)

No comments: