Tuesday, April 28, 2009

NIH News: Fewer Test Animals

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/apr2009/niehs-27.htm

Not only did the EU and Canada sign an agreement to reduce animals used in product toxicity testing, Japan and the US signed, too!

I've long tried my best to buy products that weren't tested on animals (oddly enough super cheap Suave doesn't do animal testing according to their website) but it's great to know that fewer animals in general are going to be used for testing.

I know plenty of people who don't give two cents about animal testing (worth even less than two years ago). While I will still try to gently encourage animal-friendly products, I don't have to feel as guilty when I fail because at least our government (and other governments) are recognizing the other options out there and committing to reducing the number of animals used. I know some products right now need to be tested on something alive, but this should push more animal-alternative systems to be used which is great news for everyone.

No comments: